The 90's have made a major comeback! From butterfly clips to twists, everywhere you turn the 90’s are here and it looks like the trend is sticking around for a while. We've compiled a few hairstyle favorites from the time period that you can replicate in the salon with a more updated and modern spin.
Here are some inspired hair trends from the decade!
The Rachel Wave
Hair by @thehairparlourkc
Jennifer Aniston absolutely rocked the tousled, just-got-out-of-bed look. This popular do’ had tons of shine. Here’s how to create this with a more current feel.
The Julia Curls
Hair by @_thehalfrican
Julia Roberts had the ideal head of curls in the 90’s. Natural curls were a hit then and, luckily, resurfaced in recent years. Here's how to recreate and modernize the style.
- This look is mainly about the haircut. Follow the shape of the head with layering to build volume and shape.
- Cleanse the hair and rinse thoroughly. Add a lot of water while raking through sections of hair.
- Use a scrunching method with Oway Curly Hair Potion while the hair is flipped upside down.
- Rake through Oway Smoothing Cream.
- Depending on the density of the hair adjust amount of cream to use. Section hair down the middle about a quarter for each side.
- Diffuse dry.
The Courtney Cut
Hair by @lexismithhair
Bobs have always been timeless and a staple in the 90’s. Courtney Cox rocks this style with frontal highlights. For a modern approach;
The Space Buns
Hair by @headrushsalonct
Gwen Stefani always had vibrant hair color and styled it with the ever popular-double space buns. Here’s how to refresh this decade favorite.
- For this fun 90’s look, Use Oway Thermal Stress Protector before curling with a 1” wand. Let the hair cool before running fingers through.
- Spritz hair with Oway Sculpting Mist.
- Put some Oway Water Resin on fingertips to do the dutch braids in the mohawk section. Pull the braids out a little bit so they are not so tight to the head.
- Secure the braid with an elastic and lightly tease the leftover ponytail before twisting it into a knot.
- Use bobby pins to secure it and pull apart some sections of the buns to shape them.
- Finish with Oway Sculpting Mist to set the style in place.
The Casual Cindy
Hair by @mirandak_kolors
Cindy Crawford serves 90's laid back and casual. To translate the "effortless" hair look into a more modern 'do, use natural texture and softer foiling.
- Start with a full babylight with vertical sectioning, focusing around her face and feathering toward her scalp.
- Mix Oway Hbleach Butter Cream Lightener and Oway Hcatalyst 20 Volume Cream Developer in foils making sure to keep continuously checking.
- Rinse and tone with a mixture of O&M CØR.color 6.11 Intense Ash Dark Blonde & O&M CØR.color 5 vol Activator.
The Selena Signature
Hair by @alejandra_abloom
The half up, half down ponytail is the signature hairstyle of the decade. Emanate a Selena Quintanilla vibe with this new twist!
- Take freshly shampooed hair and spray liberally throughout the hair from root and ends. Comb and work through.
- Take Oway Shaping Putty to emulsify in the hair and work throughout the length of the strands.
- Blow-dry 75% with a diffuser.
- Next take Oway Sea Salt Spray and apply to the regrowth and continue to scrunch dry with a diffuser to help set the curl. Dry to 100%.