Chignon is a French word that means ‘bun’. This classic updo is generally done by creating a bun at the back of the head, but there are several ways of doing this wedding hair favorite. We teamed up with Becky Huffman of Wildflower Hair Studio to demonstrate how you can create this popular bridal ‘do using our O&M Spring Wedding Kit.
How to Create a Bridal Chignon
1. Prep the hair with O&M Atonic Thickening Spritz to give the hair some volume and texture. This non-toxic thickening spray is perfect for setting a nice foundation for building the chignon, especially for fine and medium-density hair.
PRO TIP: Always be mindful of the hair texture when prepping the hair to ensure the longevity of the chignon.
2. Part the hair according to what your client desires with a tail comb. Then separate the hair in front starting from the end of the part down to the ear, and clip away.
3. Next, take a small section at the crown and carefully backcomb the hair, then take another section right behind it, joining it with the previous section.
Repeat the backcombing and spritz some O&M Original Queenie in between to create some height and softness through the crown.
4. Gently smooth the surface with the O&M Detangler Brush, making sure not to take away the height and cushion you’ve created.
5. Spray the top layer with O&M Frizzy Logic Shine Spray to smooth and control flyaways, as well give the hair some hold and a gorgeous luster.
6. Once that’s done, gather the rest of the hair to create a nice and tight low ponytail.
PRO TIP: We recommend using two elastics for the ponytail. This ensures that the ponytail stays in place in case the other elastic breaks.
7. Take small sections of the ponytail, gently clipping up the rest.
8. Then, backcomb each section halfway down to create shape. Spray O&M Original Queenie in between sections.
PRO TIP: The O&M Original Queenie is a firm hold spray that doesn’t leave any undesirable flakes on the hair. Some stylists use a sock bun or donut bun, and lay the ponytail over it to create the shape. But if you don’t have any of those, don’t worry – because O&M Original Queenie is perfect for giving the volume needed to create a chignon.
9. Smooth out the flyways, then gather the bottom of the ponytail, tying it with two elastics.
10. Flip the ponytail and secure the ends using a few bobby pins. Spritz the hair with O&M Frizzy Logic Shine Spray once again to tame some flyaway pieces and add shine.
11. To make sure there are no gaps in the bun, use the tail of of your comb to go in and fix any splits and gaps.
12. Next, take the hair in front of the ear and spray a little bit of Original Queenie in the direction of the hair. Comb and pull that panel across the top of your chignon, then pin. Repeat on the other side.
13. Hide the remaining tails by tucking them underneath the bun with a bobby pin.
14. Add some floral or sparkles and voila! Your bride is ready to walk the aisle.