In the age of Google and social media, having a website is crucial for your business. It enables potential customers to find and learn about your salon. But it doesn’t just end in having a website. To take advantage of the incredible benefits of having an online presence, your website should have all the necessary features that will make them feel confident about doing business with you.
Think of a website as an extension of your salon. It should have all the important information about you, your team, and your company. This allows potential customers to know you and trust you with their hair.
We rounded up 4 essential elements of a salon website to help you develop and gain new customers.
Elements of a Successful Salon Website
First and foremost, the main goal of having a website is to provide a convenient way for potential clients to get in touch with you. But if your website does not highlight your contact information, you will most likely lose their business.
- Putting your Contact Information on BOTH your Home and Contact Page is essential. There are clients who don’t like navigating menus, so having your information in a prominent place on the home page allows them to easily find it and reach you.
- Contact Forms do not cut it anymore. Clients today prefer immediate information. Whether it is a phone call, text message, social media, or email, your website should display multiple points of contact. This also includes your complete mailing address.
- Use a Call to Action (CTA). CTAs entice a visitor take an action that’s beneficial to your business. Phrases as simple as “Call Us” or “Book an Appointment” can help convert a regular web browser into a paying client.
- The Internet is here to stay, so whether you like it or not – we must move with the times. Having an Online Booking System allows your salon to receive reservations 24/7 and immediately notify your clients of your availability in seconds. It minimizes your workload and, at the same time, keeps your clients happy. It’s a WIN-WIN!
Your salon culture is critical to your success. It shapes and influences your clients’ attitudes and behaviors toward your business. Many clients go to salons to relax and feel comfortable and welcome. If your website showcases that, earning their business is going to be easy.
Having the following on your website will help:
- Your Salon Logo & Colors. Believe it or not – keeping your website’s colors and logos consistent with your brand plays a major role in decision-making.
Neuroscientiest Bevil Conway believes that humans are hardwired for certain hues.1
Greens, for example, can have a balancing and harmonizing effect, which is perfect for a Holistic Salon website.
- Unique and Professional Salon Photos. As much as you can, avoid using generic stock photos. Clients have unique needs, and by using stock photos, your salon will look pretty much the same as the next salon. Investing in professional pictures will help set your business apart from all the others on your street.
- Your Salon’s Story, Team, and Values. This will help determine if you’re a good fit for them. As Holistic Hair Stylists, we cater to clients who are trying to maintain a sustainable, healthy lifestyle. Highlighting that on your website by sharing your team’s story and values will help attract more clients who are looking to do the same.
Admit it – walking into a salon and asking for the cost of a service can be very intimidating, especially for new clients. Disclosing your services and pricing helps alleviate their worry, and thus are more likely to set up an appointment now that they know they can afford your services.
However, be sure to include proper disclosure regarding your salon policies and procedures to avoid any misunderstanding.
For instance, include in the fine print that prices posted on your website are base prices, and total cost of service will vary depending on the treatments needed as well as the length of hair. We don’t want to lose their business over a simple mix-up.
Never underestimate the power of an up-to-date website. This can be in the form of a Blog, Testimonials, Portfolio, and Service/Product pages.
- Even though you offer outstanding services, prospective clients want to hear an unbiased opinion. They want reviews from real people to validate your claim, and this is where Testimonials/Reviews page come in. Like personal recommendations, people nowadays turn to online reviews before making a purchase. 2 Testimonials provide a human element to your business, bridging the gap between you and your potential clients.
- Having a Blog can help you drive more traffic to your website, increasing your website’s SEO performance. This puts you at the top of the search results on Google as well as positions your salon as the expert in your field. A monthly or quarterly blog post is recommended.
- As Holistic Hair Stylists, our work is our business card. Before-and-Afters are an excellent way to showcase your skills and your ability to improve your client’s hair.
- For customers, nothing can be more annoying than finding out that their favorite product is sold out. Or when a service had a price increase. This can lead to negative reviews and can cost you to lose their business, so be sure to keep your Product and Service pages updated.
1 Jaffe, E. (2014). The Fascination Neuroscience of Colors. Available: https://www.fastcodesign.com/3027740/evidence/the-fascinating-neuroscience-of-color
2 Anderson, M. (2013). 2013 Study: 79% Of Consumers Trust Online Reviews As Much As Personal Recommendations. Available: http://searchengineland.com/2013-study-79-of-consumers-trust-online-reviews-as-much-as-personal-recommendations-164565