Formaldehyde is generally considered to be a highly toxic irritant and has been linked to cancer for quite sometime. After receiving many complaints about symptoms developing throughout Canada, the Canadian government stepped in to diagnose what the root causes was. It quickly became clear that the symptoms were linked to salons and specifically hair smoothing treatments know as Keratin Hair Smoothing Treatments.
The professional grade products are generally available in hair salons and typically not available to the public. The symptoms that were commonly developing with these treatments included, but were not limited to, hair loss, watery eyes, respiratory infections, and other symptoms consistent with overexposure to formaldehyde which is known to be a likely cause of cancer.
Although Canadian law does not permit any product to contain more than 0.2% formaldehyde, and the Unites States law doesn’t permit a product to contain more than 0.1%, the Canadian government’s test of many popular hair smoothing treatments generating shocking results. 10 of the products tested, including products from Brazilian Blowout, Keratin Complex, Coppola, and iStraight by HBS Beauty. All of the 10 products contained dangerously toxic concentrations of formaldehyde of up to 7%, or more than 350% the legal permitted limit in Canada and 700% the legal permitted limit in the United States.
In response to these conclusive results, Health Canada has issued an Official Government Order to immediately stop-sale and use of the 10 products. Salons must immediately stop using the products on any of their clients. The 10 products that the Stop-Sale Order is restricting includes:
Brazilian Keratin Treatment (by Marcia Teixeira)
- Brazilian Keratin Treatment by Marcia Teixeira –1.8%
- Advanced Brazilian Keratin Treatment by Marcia Teixeira – 1.7%
- Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment by Marcia Teixeira – 1.6%
- Global Keratin Taming System Strawberry by Global Keratin – 3.0%
- Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Resistant by Global Keratin – 4.4%
- Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Light Wave by Global Keratin – 1.4%
- Coppola Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola – 1.8%
- Pro-Collagen RX Keratin Treatment – 2.8%
- IStraight Keratin (Advanced Keratin Treatment) by IBS Beauty – 2.3%
- Brazilian Thermal Reconstruction by Cadiveu – 7.0%